Oriental Studies in Mysore
1) Maharaja’s Sanskrit
College: It is one of the oldest institutions in Mysore. The
college offers courses in the study of Veda, Agama and Sastra in the traditional
methods and is one of the premier institutions in South India for the
study of Sanskrit. It offers teaching upto Vidwat standard in all recognised
spheres of Sanskrit learning. The courses vary from 2 years to 13 years.
Students from different parts of the State and outside are enrolled for
the study of these traditional subjects taught by learned Sanskrit Pandits
and scholars. The courses are conducted on academic year basis and enrolment
is open for all those who are above 8 years of age. Coming into existence
over a century ago, it has an excellent library of printed and manuscript
In the beginning, the library was under the administrative control of the Department of Education. The Department of Archaeology was also housed in the same building. Later, it was separated from the Department of Education and the Department of Archaeology was also shifted from there, making it an exclusive repository of old manuscripts collected from different parts of India. Due to the earnest efforts of great scholars like Mr. Kasturi Rangachar, Prof. D.L. Narasimhachar and Prof. T.N.Shrikantayya (Tee.Nam.Shri.), ceaseless editing work was done and the edited works were published in two series - Bibliotheca Sanskrit and Bibliotheca Kannada. It achieved international fame when Prof. R.Shama Sastry, renowned scholar, traced from among the collection the monumental work, 'Artha Shastra' of Kautilya and published it. Since then, the Institute has brought out the rich material available from among its collection in a number of prestigious publications.
When the Mysore University was started in 1916, the library was placed under its control to enable research and study of the manuscripts by Sanskrit and Kannada students and scholars of the University. A managing committee with the Vice-Chancellor as Chairman and reputed scholars like Prof. B.M.Srikantayya, Prof. C.R.Reddy, Prof. M. Hiriyanna, and Mr. N.Ramanujacharya as members was constituted. By 1918, the library was well arranged with an office and four sections - manuscript collection, publication, printed books and research. In 1943, the name of the library was changed to Oriental Research Institute. In 1954, the post of the Director was created. To preserve and safeguard the palm leaf and paper manuscripts, microfilm facility was installed in 1954. When the Institute of Kannada Studies was established in the Mysore University, the collection of Kannada manuscripts was shifted from the ORI to the Institute, located in Manasa Gangotri campus, in 1966.
the ancient manuscripts by thorough research and study by scholars engaged
for the purpose, the Institute has also brought out a descriptive catalogue
of Sanskrit manuscripts. The Ford Foundation and the Government of India
have offered financial assistance to the Institute in its efforts to collect
and preserve the old manuscripts.
3) Veda Shastra Poshini Sabha: The Veda Sastra Poshini Sabha is a private body which provides free food and accommodation at its hostel for students who come to Mysore for studying Vedas, Sastras and Sanskrit language. Mysore has the prestigious and over a century-old the Maharaja's Sanskrit College, where these Sanskrit subjects are taught by veteran scholars. Public contributions help the Sabha in running the hostel for promotion of Sanskrit language and understanding its richness. The Sabha is managed by a committee at its hostel in the Fort Mohalla. Contact: President/Secretary, Veda Shastra Poshini Sabha, Fort Mohalla, Mysore.