is held holier because there resides the Divine
Goddess, Chamundeswari, one of the forms of Kali.
A temple of great antiquity, it has a historical background of over
1,000 years. It was a small shrine, where human and animal sacrifices
were common in old times. However, they were totally stopped from
18th century onwards. The temple assumed significance after the
Mysore Maharajas, the Wodeyars, came to power in 1399 A.D. Great
devotees and worshippers of Devi, Chamundeswari became their home
deity. Krishnaraja Wodeyar III
repaired the shrine in 1827
and built the present beautiful tower at the entrance (Gopura).
Blessed by the Goddess, Krishnaraja Wodeyar,
an ardent devotee of the mother Goddess, presented to the temple
a Simha-vahana (A lion-shaped
vehicle) and other animal cars and jewels of value. The cars are
used even today for processions on special religious days. Besides
the tall Gopura, the temple,
which is a quadrangular structure, has a Vimana
(small tower) on the sanctum sanctorum, a massive wooden door,and
inside small shrines of Ganesha
and Anjaneya, flag staff, inner
enclosures like Navaranga and
the sanctum sanctorum.